• JAPAN ・English
  • Help & Contact


  • Shopping&Life

ANA Mileage Club

  • Corporate Customer

Please select the card you wish to join

child travel consent form japan

Get your digital card immediately No enrollment or annual fees ANA Mileage Club Card

child travel consent form japan

Earn more miles for your money With credit function ANA Card

What is the ANA Mileage Club?

  • ANA Website
  • Offering our customers assistance for a comfortable flight

ANA Junior Pilot (Unaccompanied minors) (International Flights)

ANA Junior Pilot provides assistance to children traveling alone.

ANA Junior Pilot (Unaccompanied minors)

child travel consent form japan

Offering ANA Junior Pilot (Unaccompanied minors) to assist children 5 to 11 years of age traveling alone on international flights from departure to all the way to arrival.

This service applies to only to ANA operated flights.For code-share flights , please check with the operating carrier.

ANA offers assistance to children who are 5-13 years old and traveling alone on flights to and from Mexico City.

If you require assistance for a child who is 12-16 years old (or 14-17 years old for flights to and from Mexico City), ANA will provide ANA Airport Support .

From the time of booking until prior to departure

Notice for reservations (reservation required via telephone).

The ANA website does not accept applications for this support service if the child will not be accompanied by a person over 12 years old (or over 18 years old for flights to and from Mexico City). In this case, please apply for the service over the telephone in advance.

Note: When applying for this service over the telephone, please say that you would like to use ANA Junior Pilot.

child travel consent form japan

Preparation for journey

ANA Junior Pilot need to submit a consent form.

Please fill in the required items in advance, print out and bring it with you to the airport.This will allow procedures to run smoothly on the day of departure.

The parent/guardian will need to complete required items on the Consent/Release Form in English. Please submit the form upon check-in at the airport on the day of departure.

Please download with the passenger's consent.

A Consent and Release Form must be completed for both the outbound and return flights.

Some other countries also require a Consent and Release Form signed by a parent or guardian in accordance with the instructions from the relevant authorities. Please see Special Guidance for Each Country .

This PDF file will open in a new tab or another application.

Boarding flights to and from Mexico City

Please Read This Information with Your Child

ANA has created a page that aims to explain the main steps from pre-departure preparations to arrival in a way that is easy for children to understand. Please read this page with your child. You can also print it out for your child to use as a checklist at the airport and while on board.

At the Departure Airport

child travel consent form japan

Please plan on arriving to the airport well in advance, and proceed to the ANA check-in counter*1.

We will hand your child an ANA Junior Pilot holder*2, so please make sure this badge holder is worn until the child meets with the parent/guardian.

Self-service check-in machines cannot be used to check in.We recommend checking in earlier during the summer and winter vacation seasons, and other holidays when airports are especially crowded.

The "Single Traveler Card" summarizing the points from boarding to arrival is in the holder.

Note: The parent or guardian must complete the required fields of the application form and the Consent and Release Form in English. (The required fields must be completed in Spanish for flights to and from Mexico City.)

child travel consent form japan

Once preparation for departure is complete, our staff will escort the child from the airport counter to the cabin.

Families will be able to accompany the child up to the security checkpoint.Please check with our airport staff as conditions may differ depending on the airport.

Safety Precautions:

Some mobile phones for kids have a particular setting that automatically turns the power on from time to time for sending its location, even though the power was turned off.

Please turn the phone off completely before boarding.

The information below is about cellular phones for children sold in Japan and directed to customers who live in Japan.

Cellular phones for children

"Kids PHONE" by NTT Docomo

"Junior Phone mamorino" by au

"Mimamori Phone" by Softbank

child travel consent form japan

ANA original goods for kids are available during the flights.

Feel free to contact your cabin crew.

Limited stock only.Please accept our apology if it is out of stock.

Upon arrival, we kindly ask that the child remain seated until escorted by the cabin crew.

Sample image

At the connecting or arrival airport

Our staff will escort the child to the arrival lobby.

We will ask the person who is picking up the child to present his/her identification card and sign the release form.

Please wait at the arrival exit.

Our staff will gladly assist children with connecting flights.

If your child has a connecting flight operated by another airline, please check conditions for acceptance ahead of time with the operating carrier.Please note that a guardian or other representative must meet and accompany the child at the transit point when connecting to a flight operated by another airline.

  • Terms of Use

Eligible customers: If a child who is 5-11 years old will not be accompanied by a person over 12 years old (or a child who is 5-13 years old and will not be accompanied by a person over 18 years old for flights to and from Mexico City), please ensure that arrangements are made for the child to be escorted to the airport of departure and met at the airport of arrival.

Please confirm the following for itineraries with a connection.

Applications will not be accepted for connecting flights with an overnight stay at the connection location.

Applications will be accepted for connections on the same day and at the same airport when using an ANA-operated connecting flight and through check-in is available.

In this case, seats on all flights must be secured.

When connecting at Haneda Airport, departures up to 03:00 on the next day are considered as same-day connections.

Applications will not be accepted for connections to another airline if a parent/guardian or representative is not present at the connection location.

Applications will not be accepted for connections to UA flights, regardless of whether or not a parent/guardian or representative is present.

The child discount cannot be applied to a trip in which a child is traveling as an unaccompanied minor from a Japanese airport. Please note that the adult fare will apply. Since the applicable fare varies depending on the country of departure, please inquire over the telephone if the child will be traveling from an airport outside Japan.

Service Eligibility by Child Age Range

Boarding flights to and from locations other than mexico city, other points to note when using this service.

Your child may not be allowed to board the aircraft if there is an indication that the flight may not operate as scheduled due to the weather conditions, etc.

Please note it is necessary to sign the consent and release form that states that the minor is able to understand and follow the instructions of the carrier's staff, and he/she is able to take care of him/herself.

"ANA Junior Pilot holder" will be distributed.Please make sure he/she wears the badge around his/her neck.

Children using the ANA Junior Pilot service will not be seated in front of emergency exits.Thank you for your understanding.

Passengers using "ANA Junior Pilot" service are required to prepare some documents. For further infomation please see Passengers under the age of 18 travelling alone or with the person who is not their parent or guardian to/from Mexico .

child travel consent form japan

Inquiries from within Japan

Business hours

24hours, open daily

Operator hours are currently different. Please see Contact us for details.

Call Handling System


(Fixed rate within Japan)

Phone No.


(Toll call number)

Dial a number above and select " 2 " when the automated voice system is prompted.

If you need to make an inquiry, please contact the International reservations.

Inquiries from outside Japan

Please call your respective ANA branch office.

For passengers who require assistance

The ANA Group provides assistance to passengers with physical difficulties such as sickness, injury, or disability, as well as passengers requiring other assistance (expectant mothers, elderly passengers, passengers with young children, unaccompanied minors, and passengers traveling with pets) so that they can enjoy a safe and comfortable flight.

child travel consent form japan

Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF format files.

Related Tags

  • Outside Japan
  • Reservations

Related Pages

Ana group ana group.

This page will open in a new tab. If the page is on an external website, it may not be in line with accessibility guidelines.

Official Social Media Accounts

child travel consent form japan

For the 11th Consecutive Year, ANA Receives 5-Star Rating!

child travel consent form japan

The Most On-Time Airline in the Asia Pacific for Five Consecutive Years!

  • Privacy Policy
  • Cookie Policy
  • External Transmission of User Information
  • System Requirement
  • Web Accessibility Policy
  • Conditions of Carriage for Domestic Flights
  • Conditions of Carriage for International Flights
  • Conditions of Carriage by Charter Flight
  • ANA Mileage Club Terms and Conditions

Delete one character

Member Login

  • Log In with Your AMC Membership Number
  • ANA Biz Login

:Click on this icon to display the virtual keyboard.

  • Before proceeding to log in, please be sure to read and accept the section on the purpose of using personal information in  the ANA Privacy Policy .

About Logging In

Join ANA Mileage Club

Information for Members Logging In

  • Points to note when using your AMC account.

Auto-Login with Cookies

By checking the Keep Me Logged In box on the login screen, you will not need to re-enter your membership number or password for subsequent logins.

  • However, you will need to re-enter your password as a form of verification when making reservations, requesting awards, registering/revising personal information, and using other members-only functions.

Do you really want to log out?

  • If you click "Log Out," you will be logged out even if you have selected "Save Login Status."
  • Close all open browser windows if you want to quit your session without logging out.

ANA Biz is a business travel arrangement service.

Click here if you have forgotten your ID or password

Service Desk

Guidance of the diamond service

Guidance of the platinum service

Guidance of the bronze Service

Notices from ANA

View or update your profile, family usage.

Change address

Registration for mailed items

Change e-mail address

Change Password

Change your main card

List of your ANA Number

Reservation Information (Payment Method etc.)

Forgot your password?

Lost or damaged Card

Combining Mileage account

Change of Name

ANA Mileage Club Q&A

Award User Registration

Inheritance of Mileage

ANA Card Family Mile Registration

Edy Campaign Registration

Other(Procedures at the Service Center)

Membership Cancellation

Domestic Flights


Premium Point / Point on ANA /

View Mileage Account Balance

View ANA SKY COIN Balance

Choose your City and Language 都市・言語選択

Please enter your city and then choose the applicable option. 都市を入力後、選択してください

  • 東京(全て)[TYO] / Tokyo(All)
  • Assistance for Disabled Customers
  • Help & Contact
  • ANA Mileage Club Logout ANA Mileage Club Login / Join ANA Biz Logout ANA Biz Login

child travel consent form japan

  • Get a Passport
  • Renew a Passport
  • Get a Passport Fast
  • Courier Services
  • Passport Information

Free Minor Travel Consent Form

Home » Passports » How to Obtain a U.S. Passport

father with two minor children holding passports and boarding passes at airport

A minor travel consent form is a legal document, signed by a child's parents and/or legal guardians, giving permission for the child to travel with another adult. Any time a child travels abroad without both parents and/or legal guardians, U.S. Customs and Border Protection requires the child to have this written permission.

This document is particularly important in international travel situations. It can be used to establish guardianship whether the child is traveling abroad with only one parent or with another trusted adult, such as a family member, friend, or educator.

In today's world, where concerns about child safety are paramount-especially when it comes to child abduction, custody disputes, and human trafficking-a minor travel consent form serves as a protective measure. It provides clear, legally binding, written permission that can be verified by immigration officials, airline staff, or travel companies, to make sure that the child's travel is both safe and authorized.

Without this form, travel may be delayed or denied. Domestic and international authorities need to be able confirm the child's guardianship and obtain the necessary permissions before allowing the child to travel onward.

How to Use the Minor Travel Consent Form

The form available below is a comprehensive template, designed to be easily copy/pasted and adapted in a word processor like Microsoft Word or Google Docs.

Given the critical nature of this document, we also provide a downloadable minor travel consent form in PDF format for your convenience.

It's important to note that while this sample form is a valuable starting point, it should be tailored to fit the specific details and circumstances of your child's travel.

Also be advised that this form does not replace a legal power of attorney document that could be used to make critical medical care decisions on behalf of a child.

This form is regularly reviewed and updated to ensure that this form remains current with travel and child safety best practices, reflecting our commitment to providing reliable and authoritative travel resources.

Screenshot of the free minor travel consent form from U.S. Passport Service Guide

The Legal Implications of Traveling Without a Minor Consent Form

While the minor travel consent form is not a universally required legal document, a child traveling without one can lead to serious complications in many countries. Different nations have their own regulations regarding child travel. Being uninformed or unprepared can quickly lead to distressing situations for both you and your child.

1. International Legal Considerations:

  • Country-Specific Requirements Vary: Each country has its own set of rules regarding minors traveling without their parents. For instance, some countries in Europe may require additional documentation, such as a birth certificate or a parental authorization letter, in addition to the travel consent form. You need to be sure your child and their traveling companion(s) comply with all of the requirements for each country they plan to travel to and through.
  • Risk of Travel Disruption: Without a consent form, minors traveling abroad may face delays or even denied entry at border control checkpoints. This can lead to missed transportation departures and costly changes to your travel itinerary.
  • Embassy and Consulate Involvement: In cases where a minor is detained due to lack of proper documentation, the local embassy or consulate of the child's home country may need to be involved. This can lead to complex legal situations that take significant amounts of tame and/or money to solve.

2. Domestic Legal Implications:

  • Airline and Transportation Policies: Within the United States, airlines and other transportation services have specific policies regarding unaccompanied minors (more on this later). Lack of a consent form, even for domestic travel, can result in the child being denied boarding.
  • Legal Custody Disputes: In cases of separated or divorced parents, traveling without a consent form can raise legal issues related to custody agreements. It's crucial to understand and adhere to the legal requirements stipulated in custody arrangements to avoid legal repercussions.

A minor travel consent form can help you avoid many of these situations. Before traveling, be sure to research the specific travel requirements of the destination country regarding minor travel. In addition to the resources provided on this site, this can also be done through a country's embassy website or by consulting with travel experts like registered passport expediting services .

In complex situations, such as shared custody or special travel circumstances, consulting with a legal expert can provide clarity and ensure compliance with both domestic and international laws.

Minor Travel Consent Form Notary Requirements

We strongly recommend that you have any child travel consent form notarized. This can prevent issues establishing the authority and credibility of your documentation.

It can be challenging to find and secure the services of a notary in person. Thankfully, it is possible to use an online notary service to notarize your minor travel consent form. This can save you serious time and stress.

We recommend using NotaryLive , a fully-secure, online notirization platform with an "Excellent" rating from TrustPilot . NotaryLive is fast, affordable, and fully compliant with state law, so you can be sure your notarized minor travel consent form is both legal and valid.

Unaccompanied Minors

Airlines have general rules about the ages and circumstances where children can fly alone, too. There are also usually additional fees that come with buying a ticket for a minor that will be traveling without an adult. As part of that extra cost, many airlines offer some additional supervisory and support services to be sure the traveling child is safe and comfortable while traveling on their own.

For more, check out our guide to unaccompanied minors traveling internationally . There, you will find details about the considerations, accommodations, and policies that apply to kids traveling internationally without an adult parent or guardian.

More Tips for Parents of Minors Traveling Abroad

Besides proper documentation, there are other ways to help a child have a safe international trip. Any time your child is traveling without you, give yourself peace of mind by taking these proactive steps.

Be Proactive In Shared Custody Situations

Parents who share custody of their children should each carry copies of the legal custody documents. You can also contact the embassy of the country or countries the minor child will be visiting to confirm travel entry requirements. This proactive step can help avoid issues at border crossings and during the child's stay abroad.

A simple notarized statement, such as the one below, should suffince in most cases.

"I, [PARENT NAME] acknowledge that [SPOUSE NAME] is traveling out of the country with my [SON/DAUGHTER] whom we share custody of. This authorization gives [SPOUSE NAME] my full permission to do so.

Use a GPS Tracker to Keep Track of Your Child While Abroad

GPS technology makes it possible to pinpoint a person's exact location, anywhere in the world. If your child is traveling without you, it makes sense to keep a GPS tracker on their person so that you know where they are. You can also use additional trackers to help keep tabs on your child's luggage or other valuables.

  • Apple AirTags are small, inexpensive GPS tags that can be purchased individually or in packs of 4 . They use bluetooth connectivity and the vast number of Apple users across the globe to create a reliable GPS tracking network. Using your iPhone or Apple device, you can ping any AirTag that is linked to your AppleID and locate it quickly. Thanks to its small size, an AirTag can easily be tucked into luggage, sewn into a child's clothing, or stashed in a travel wallet.
  • JioBit is an all-in-one GPS tracking system specifically designed for tracking your child. While it is more expensive than Apple AirTags, JioBit is a durable and secure alternative-particularly useful for those who don't already have an Apple device.

Use a Parent-Controlled Debit Card

Traveling costs add up. Everything from food, transportation, lodging, and fun comes with a price. If your child is traveling without you, you want to be sure they have the money they need, but also that it is being protected.

There are a number of debit cards that allow parents to keep an eye on their child's spending as well as their remaining balance. Should your child and their card become separated, you have the ability to prevent unauthorized purchases and possibly even get a replacement sent to wherever your child is staying.

Traveling with minors requires careful planning and a strict adherence to both American and international laws. This guide and the minor travel consent form we have shared are designed to provide you with the necessary information and tools to ensure a smooth and stress-free journey for your child. Whether your child is traveling with a guardian, as part of a group, or alone, the right preparation can make all the difference.

Remember, the safety and well-being of your child are paramount. By staying informed about the latest travel regulations and using our resources, you can confidently prepare for your child's next trip. If you have any further questions or need personalized advice, our team of travel experts is always here to assist you. Safe travels!

Related Articles and FAQs: International Travel with Minors

How to get a passport for a minor

Form DS-3053: Consent to Issue Passport to Minor

Where to apply for a minor's passport

Minor Passport FAQ

Expedite a child's passport in 24-48 hours

Can one parent apply for minor child's passport?

Is a minor consent form necessary?

What do grandparents need to travel with a grandchild?

Does father need consent to travel alone with minor child?

Does minor need passport to go on a cruise?

Does minor need passport to enter Canada?

Top 5 Questions About Expedited Passport Couriers

1. How can you get a passport when you're in a hurry? 2. What exactly does a passport expediter do? 3. Are passport expediting services legitimate? 4. How can I identify a reliable passport expeditor? 5. Is expedited passport service worth it?

U.S. Passport Service Guide - Who we are

For over 20 years, U.S. Passport Service Guide has helped American citizens understand and navigate the passport application process. We use our expertise and experience to help travelers get United States passports quickly and efficiently.

Our website currently receives over half a million visitors a month. We are committed to going the "extra mile" for all of our readers. Both passport officials and website visitors frequently write to express gratitude for the assistance we provide.

Please contact us if you have any travel related questions - especially ones about passports and visa expediting. We usually respond to e-mails within 24 hours, oftentimes the same day. We are committed to working with you until you get the answer you need.

child travel consent form japan

Get the Latest Updates

child travel consent form japan

An official website of the United States government

Here’s how you know

Official websites use .gov A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS A lock ( Lock Locked padlock icon ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Visit the USAGov homepage

International travel documents for children

See what documents a child needs to travel to or from the U.S. alone or with a parent or relative.

Children traveling to the U.S.

All children, including infants, must have their own travel documents such as a passport or document from a Trusted Traveler Program to enter the U.S. If you travel or are going to travel with a child, consider taking the following documents:

  • If the child is traveling with only one of their custodial parents, they must have a letter of consent, preferably in English and notarized, from the other parent or signed by both parents. The letter should say "I acknowledge that my son/daughter is traveling outside the country with [the name of the adult] with my permission."
  • If one parent has sole custody of the child, a copy of the custody document can take the place of the other parent's letter.
  • Parents who frequently cross the border by land with a minor must always carry a letter of permission from the other parent.

U.S. citizen children traveling abroad

Ports of entry in many countries have security measures to prevent international child abduction . If you are traveling alone with your child, you may be required to present documentation proving you are the parent or legal guardian. You may also need a letter of permission from the other parent for your child to travel. 

If your child travels alone, depending on the country, they may be required to present a notarized letter from both parents or their legal guardian. If a minor is traveling abroad and is not accompanied by both parents or a legal guardian, contact the embassy or consulate of the country you will be visiting and ask about entry and exit requirements for that country.

LAST UPDATED: December 6, 2023

Have a question?

Ask a real person any government-related question for free. They will get you the answer or let you know where to find it.

talk icon

  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to site information

Language selection

Help us to improve our website. Take our survey !

Consent letter for children travelling outside Canada

A consent letter demonstrates that a child has permission to travel outside Canada from every parent or guardian who is not accompanying them on the trip.

On this page

When to use a consent letter, how to write a consent letter.

A consent letter should be used for all cross-border travel when a child is travelling:

  • with only 1 parent or guardian
  • in the care of friends or relatives
  • with a group, such as a sports, school, musical or religious group

This includes day trips and travel where a child will be with only 1 parent for part of a trip. For example, a child will leave Canada with both parents but will return with only 1 parent.

A consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, but it can simplify travel for Canadian children as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials or airline agents when re-entering Canada.

The person who is accompanying the child should bring the original signed letter rather than a copy. Officials may be less likely to question the authenticity of an original document.

If you are travelling with a child for whom you have always been the sole parent or guardian, you can bring a document that shows you are the child’s only parent or guardian, such as a copy of a long form birth certificate that identifies you as the only parent.

If the other parent is deceased and you have full custody of your child, you should bring a copy of the death certificate of the deceased parent when accompanying the child on a trip.

The definition of a child varies from country to country, so any child under 19 years old should carry a consent letter.

Using a letter of consent outside Canada

Countries have their own entry and exit requirements for children. The consent letter may not be considered sufficient by a country’s immigration authorities and there is no guarantee that they will recognize it. In some countries, your child may be deemed to be one of its citizens if you or the other parent is a citizen of that country. As a “deemed citizen,” your child may be subject to the same entry and exit requirements as other citizens of that country.

For more information, check the entry and exit requirements in the Travel Advice and Advisories for your destination country or contact the nearest embassy or consulate of the destination country before travelling.

Travel Advice and Advisories

Foreign representatives in Canada

Risk of abduction

If there is a risk that the accompanying parent will not bring your child back to Canada, consult a lawyer and proceed with caution before signing a consent letter.

International child abduction

There are no official guidelines for the content and format of a consent letter, but they usually include:

  • the name of the child
  • the names and contact information of parents or guardians
  • the name and relationship of the person who is accompanying the child
  • information on where the child is travelling and the duration of the trip

You may use 1 letter or multiple letters depending on the situation:

  • If neither parent is accompanying the child, they can both sign 1 letter or they can each sign a separate letter
  • Children from the same family who are travelling together may be listed on 1 letter
  • Separate letters are recommended for children who will be travelling separately for part of the trip
  • Consult a lawyer when writing a letter without specific dates or for frequent cross-border trips

A sample letter and interactive form are available to guide you in writing a consent letter:

  • Sample consent letter
  • Interactive form for writing a consent letter

You can change the letter to fit your specific situation, but you should try to include as much detail as possible.

The consent letter should be signed by:

  • Parents who are married or in a common law relationship who are not accompanying the child travelling outside Canada
  • custody of the child
  • decision-making responsibility for the child
  • guardianship of the child (in Alberta and British Columbia)

A court order or agreement may also specify who does or does not need to sign a consent letter for a child travelling abroad.

If the child is in temporary care: The consent letter should be signed by the appropriate child welfare agency representative granting consent for the child to travel with the accompanying person. If in doubt about who should sign the letter, consult a lawyer.

If one of the parents is deceased: If the child is travelling alone or without the surviving parent, the child should carry a consent letter signed by the surviving parent and a copy of the death certificate of the deceased parent.

Signature of a witness

Any adult may witness the signing of a consent letter. It is strongly recommended that a notary public witness and sign the letter as border officials may be less likely to question its authenticity.

Learn more about notarial services abroad.

  • Children and travel
  • Travelling with Children brochure  
  • International Child Abductions: A guide for affected parents
  • Travelling as a dual citizen
  • Children travelling to Canada  (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada)

We’re sorry, this site is currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please try again in a few moments. Exception: request blocked

Free Parental Consent Forms for Minors Traveling Alone

child travel consent form japan

While children between the ages of five and 18 can fly by themselves, younger children in this range usually must participate in an airline's unaccompanied minor program (specific age requirements vary per airline).

If your minor child will be traveling domestically, you will typically need to fill out paperwork through the airline's unaccompanied minor program. But if your minor child will be traveling out of the country alone, with one parent, or with someone other than a parent or legal guardian, he will likely need to carry a notarized letter of consent (and perhaps a medical letter of consent) signed by his parents in addition to the unaccompanied minor program paperwork. Use this guide as a helpful jumping off point regarding such letters of consent, but we advise referring to airline and government websites for more specific information. 

What Is a Child Travel Consent Form?

Because of increasing instances of child abduction in custody cases and a growing number of children who are the victims of trafficking or pornography, government and airline personnel are now more vigilant about traveling children. Therefore, your child will likely be asked by an immigration officer or airline staff member will ask for a letter of consent if he or she is traveling without both parents.

A Child Travel Consent Form is a legal document that allows a minor child to travel without both parents or legal guardians present. It can be used when a child is traveling as an unaccompanied minor, or with another adult who is not the legal guardian, such as a grandparent , teacher, sports coach, or friend of the family. It is advisable for all travel and is particularly important when a minor is traveling outside the country .

The document should include:

  • Minor's name, birthplace, and passport information
  • Permission from the non-traveling parent or guardian, including his or her contact information
  • Relevant information about the traveling parent or guardian, including name, custody information, and passport details
  • Travel information, such as the destination and start and end dates for the trip. Note that the consent is temporary and specific to this one trip
  • Allergy and special needs information pertaining to the child
  • Signature of the non-traveling parent who is giving permission for the child to travel

Be aware that specific rules about documentation can differ substantially from country to country, so you should check the U.S. State Department International Travel website for information about the requirements for your destination country. Find your destination country, click the tab for "Entry, Exit, & Visa Requirements," then scroll down to "Travel with Minors."

What Is a Child Medical Consent Form?

If a minor child is traveling without a parent or legal guardian, a Child Medical Consent Form grants authority to a chaperone to make medical decisions. The form grants temporary medical power of attorney to another adult in case of a medical emergency. You've probably filled out such a form in the past for your child's daycare or school, or for field trips, sleepover camp, and other situations.

  • Minor's name and birthplace
  • Authorized medical treatments
  • Health information about the child
  • Identity of the person being granted responsibility
  • Health insurance information

There are a number of websites that offer free templates for travel forms. Here are some reliable options:

Free Child Travel Consent LetterFrom LawDepot.com

This form takes five to 10 minutes to complete. Answer a few simple questions and then choose to to print or download.

Free Child Travel Consent Letter From eForms.com

This five-step fill-in-the-blank template is straightforward and easy to complete. The user can select his or her home state from a pulldown menu.

Free Child Travel Consent Letter From RocketLawyer.com

Build your document, print it out, sign it and get it notarized to make it legal.

Free Child Travel Consent Letter From LegalTemplates.net

Follow the directions on the site to complete the form. Then e-sign, download, and print your legally binding document.

Required Documents for International Travel With Minors

Marriage Laws for Caribbean Destination Weddings

Does My Child Need ID to Fly?

Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy

Parent Authorization Letter for Minors Traveling to Mexico

How the Airlines Handle Unaccompanied Minors

Passports and Mexico Entry Requirements for Children

How to Find Your Nearest US Passport Office

Flying While Pregnant? Check Out the Policies on 25 Global Airlines

How to Travel to Cuba If You Are an American

Single Parent Travel Tips and Advice

Booking a Baby Bassinet for Your Flight

Do Children Need a Passport to Visit Canada?

North American Airlines on Rules for Overweight Passengers

Do I Need a Letter of Permission to Travel With Grandchildren?

Car Seat Policies for the Top 15 North American Airlines

  • Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

Legal Templates

Home Personal & Family Child Travel Consent

Minor (Child) Travel Consent Form

Use our child travel consent form to prove that a child can travel without their parents or guardians.

child travel consent form

Updated January 4, 2024 Written by Sara Hostelley | Reviewed by Brooke Davis

A minor (child) travel consent form is typically necessary when a child travels domestically or internationally with a relative, family friend, or another adult who isn’t their legal guardian or parent. It grants permission for a minor to travel alone or with someone other than their legal guardian or parent.

The form aims to ensure the child’s safety and well-being by providing evidence of parental or guardian consent for the trip.

What Is a Child Travel Consent Form?

When to use a child travel consent form.

  • What If I'm Divorced or Separated?

What If I Have Sole Custody or Decision-Making Authority?

What if a minor travels without their parents, how to write a child travel consent form, considerations when traveling with children, child travel consent form sample.

A child travel consent form is a legal document providing written permission for a minor to travel without a parent or legal guardian. The form is primarily for when a child travels with a club/group, school, or an adult, like a family friend or relative.

Domestic vs. International Travel

A child travel consent form may allow the child to travel domestically (within the U.S.) or internationally (outside the U.S.).

Countries may have different rules for admitting children traveling without their parents. It’s important to check each country’s travel guidelines before having the child and accompanying person embark on their trip.

It can be beneficial to use it when a child under the age of 18 is traveling:

  • With a group, such as a religious, musical, sports, or school group.
  • With only one guardian or parent (instead of their entire family unit).
  • In the care of a family friend or relative.
  • By themselves.

It’s important to have a minor travel consent form in multiple scenarios. For example, suppose you and your spouse left the country together with your child. If only one parent later returns to the country with their child due to another commitment by the second parent, the parent with the child should have a consent form showing the other parent has agreed to this arrangement.

Child travel consent forms promote children’s safety and prevent international child abduction. They can also prevent a parent from taking a child due to an unfavorable custody dispute.

What If I’m Divorced or Separated?

If you’re divorced or separated, you can review your custody agreement to determine if there are any child travel restrictions or requirements . For example, the custody agreement may limit international travel . It may also demand the traveling parent to provide a certain amount of notice to the other party.

Even if both parents have joint custody, it’s good practice to notify and seek the consent of the parent who won’t be traveling with the child.

If one lawful custodial parent needs to travel with the child, the traveling guardian should obtain written consent from the other custodial parent [1] .

If you have sole decision-making authority or custody of your child, the other parent may still have visitation (access) rights. However, the parent without full custody won’t have to provide a consent letter. Instead, the parent with full custody can carry a copy of the court custody document when they travel alone with the child [2] .

If you’re the sole parent because your spouse is deceased, you can carry a copy of their death certificate. This way, you can show authorities you’re the only parent responsible for your child.

If parents have a child who needs to travel with another relative, family friend, or group, they should both sign a travel consent form.

Similarly, if minors need to travel alone, they should carry a consent form with their parents’ signatures .

Review a summary of how to write a child travel consent form:

Step 1: Provide your child’s basic information, including their name, birthdate, birthplace, passport details, and birth certificate details.

Step 2: Write your information as the parent or guardian, including your address, phone number, and address. Input the information of both parents and guardians, if applicable.

Step 3: Include the name of the person traveling with the child, including their name, relationship to the child, and passport information.

Step 4: Provide the trip details. Clarify the accompanying person, travel destination, travel dates, travel purpose, and address at the destination.

Step 5: Explain if the accompanying person has the right to seek medical attention or make medical decisions for your child. You may complete a separate child medical consent form to be more thorough.

Step 6: Provide an emergency contact person’s information, including their name, phone number, and email. Consider electing a second emergency contact person.

Step 7: Include your child’s medical insurance and health information so the accompanying person can seek medical attention and make informed decisions if you give them the authority.

Here are some considerations when traveling with children:

Check With the Embassy

Check with the U.S. embassy for the country of your child’s destination to determine the travel requirements. Some countries won’t allow children to travel unaccompanied.

If the child travels with one custodial parent or a trusted adult who isn’t a legal guardian, the country may have certain notarization requirements for the travel consent form. Ensure you know all regulations before allowing the child to travel.

Confirm Airlines’s Requirements

For domestic travel, some airlines may have specific requirements for children traveling without both custodial parents. Children may need to present a notarized letter or other documentation to avoid being seen as unaccompanied minors.

Ensure You Bring Supporting Documentation

Traveling with children can be more seamless when you bring adequate supporting documentation.

When writing your child’s travel consent form, remember that U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) requires a passport for any U.S. citizen re-entering the country by air. The CBP highly recommends children traveling without their parents or legal guardians carry a copy of their birth certificate to help ease travel through customs [3] .

If you can’t provide a copy of the child’s birth certificate, you can have them carry a driver’s license if they’re of driving age.

Parents with multiple children traveling must create separate minor travel consent forms and obtain all necessary documentation for each child.

child travel consent form

Legal Templates uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial guidelines to learn more about how we keep our content accurate, reliable and trustworthy.

  • USA.gov. International travel documents for children. https://www.usa.gov/travel-documents-children
  • Department of Homeland Security. Travel Overseas. https://www.dhs.gov/travel-overseas
  • U.S. Customs and Border Control. Documents You Will Need Before Your Trip. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/your-trip
  • Legal Resources
  • Partner With Us
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The document above is a sample. Please note that the language you see here may change depending on your answers to the document questionnaire.

Thank you for downloading!

How would you rate your free template?

Click on a star to rate

  • Trying to Conceive
  • Signs & Symptoms
  • Pregnancy Tests
  • Fertility Testing
  • Fertility Treatment
  • Weeks & Trimesters
  • Staying Healthy
  • Preparing for Baby
  • Complications & Concerns
  • Pregnancy Loss
  • Breastfeeding
  • School-Aged Kids
  • Raising Kids
  • Personal Stories
  • Everyday Wellness
  • Safety & First Aid
  • Immunizations
  • Food & Nutrition
  • Active Play
  • Pregnancy Products
  • Nursery & Sleep Products
  • Nursing & Feeding Products
  • Clothing & Accessories
  • Toys & Gifts
  • Ovulation Calculator
  • Pregnancy Due Date Calculator
  • How to Talk About Postpartum Depression
  • Editorial Process
  • Meet Our Review Board

Travel Documents Needed for Grandchildren

Letter of permission, domestic travel, bordering countries, international travel.

Traveling with grandchildren  provides a wonderful bonding opportunity for grandparents . Planning ahead for any documents you will need will help everything to go smoothly.

While you can pick up some items at your destination that you forgot to pack, it isn't easy to get or replace a passport or another vital document. Know what you need before you go.

Although most grandparents will never have to show it, carrying a letter of permission is advisable. Templates for such letters are available online, and you can create your own letter of permission using instructions. You want to format your letter in a way that it:

  • Gives consent from the parent(s) to allow their child(ren) to travel with their grandparents
  • Includes all children's full names and ages
  • Indicates the travel period from departure to the date of return including a few days before and after in case of any travel changes
  • Includes the name of the notary and the date notarized
  • Lists the general travel destination(s)
  • Provides contact information for the parent, including the full address and any major phone numbers
  • Provides the name of the grandparent(s)
  • Provides the name of the parent(s).
  • Shows the signature of the parent(s) and the date

You may need to include more details in your letter if you're traveling out of the country. If a grandchild's parents are divorced, documents should ideally be signed by both parents. Sometimes children are transported across borders during custody disputes, so both signature help alleviate any potential issues.

While it's legal for grandparents to transport their grandchildren without a letter of permission, it's a safeguard against any potential emergencies or law enforcement issues.

Getting the letter of permission notarized by a licensed official adds an extra layer of security to your document. There are many businesses that will perform this quick signature process with you, including banks, law offices, CPAs, and mail services like UPS.

Copies of insurance cards advisable

Letter of permission from parents advisable

No ID required for air, rail, land travel

Certified copies of birth certificates for travel to border countries by land or sea

Passports required for air travel and disembarking ship in some ports

Vaccinations required for some countries

Visas required for some countries

Thankfully, grandchildren won't need any ID for domestic road trips with grandparents. In addition, airlines and trains don't usually require any form of ID for children under 18 for domestic travel.

Still, it's never a bad idea to bring some ID anyway. Photocopies of the grandkids' birth certificates should work fine regardless of circumstance, so keep those in a safe spot. In addition, you should bring:

  • Insurance cards : copies of the grandchildren's insurance cards as well as prescription cards, dental cards, and secondary insurance cards if applicable.
  • Letter of permission : a notarized letter from the parent(s) giving permission for medical care .

If you're traveling to Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, or other areas of the Caribbean, most grandchildren 15 and under can travel using certified copies of their birth certificates instead of a passport. However, this provision applies only to travel by land or sea and does not apply to travel by air.

Children must have passports for air travel.

When taking a cruise which returns to the port of departure, Americans will not need passports to re-enter the United States.They may, however, need passports to disembark the ship in foreign ports. Passengers should check with their cruise lines or, to be safe, carry passports regardless.

In general, some travel authorities suggest that you obtain a limited power of attorney if traveling abroad with grandchildren. This adds an extra measure of protection if something goes wrong.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) is a United States legal framework that requires travelers to present a valid passport, or another approved secure document when traveling to the U.S. from places within the Western Hemisphere.

Even small children and infants need a passport for air travel overseas. Children cannot be added to a parent's passport. If a child doesn't have a passport, both parents should appear in person to apply for one. When that's not possible, other paperwork will be required.

Grandparents who want to take their grandchildren abroad should be reminded that the passport process can take a while. So it should be managed far in advance.

Some countries also require a visa for entry, and vaccinations may be required in some cases. Before booking a trip, check the U.S. Department of State's website for country-specific information. You'll also want to revisit this a few days before your trip for any last-minute issues.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Children - child traveling with one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian or a group .

U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Before your trip .

U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Western hemisphere travel initiative .

 U.S. Department of State. Smart traveler enrollment program .

By Susan Adcox Susan Adcox is a writer covering grandparenting and author of Stories From My Grandparent: An Heirloom Journal for Your Grandchild.

Home - smartraveller.gov.au, be informed, be prepared - logo

Search Smartraveller

Travelling with children.


This page is for Australian parents and children travelling overseas.

Read this page to learn about:

  • what to do before you travel
  • children travelling without one or both parents
  • child custody
  • international child abduction

What to do before you travel

  • Read the  travel advice for your destinations  and  subscribe for updates . Also read about your transit locations.
  • Buy  travel insurance  that covers your whole family. Read the fine print and know what it covers.
  • Look online for tips on travelling with kids in the country you're going to.
  • Leave an itinerary with someone at home. Plan to keep in contact.

Local laws and culture

Research the local laws and culture where you're going. They may differ from what you're used to in Australia.

  • Check the safety standards of any equipment you'll use. This includes pools, balconies, car seats, cots and play equipment.
  • Find out local attitudes towards breastfeeding in public.
  • Learn the laws around disciplining children. In some countries, physical punishment is illegal, including smacking.

Research any childcare you plan to use overseas. Standards in other countries may vary.

  • the accreditation of providers
  • the provider's child abuse prevention plans
  • how they screen their staff, including police checks and qualifications
  • the ratio of staff to children
  • staff training, including first aid and emergency processes
  • security on the premises
  • their injury liability insurance.

Staying healthy

Take your children to a doctor or travel clinic at least 8 weeks before you leave.

  • Get a basic health check-up.
  • Ask if your travel plans may affect their health.
  • Plan any  vaccinations  they need.
  • Find out if there are common health risks for kids where you'll travel.

Check if your child's medicine is legal where you're going. For example, some countries control or ban ADHD medicines.

Some over-the-counter medicines are also banned overseas.

  • Check the 'health' section of  your destination's travel advice .
  • Talk to the  embassy or consulate of that country .

See our advice on  taking care of your health . And read  more about travelling with medication .

Children travelling without one or both parents

There are laws around children travelling without both parents. Airlines also have rules you must follow.

Travelling with only one parent

You may need extra documents if only one parent is travelling. Particularly if you don't have the same surname as your child.

For example, you may need:

  • proof of the other parent or guardian's consent for the child to travel
  • proof of any custody agreements
  • proof of guardianship
  • adoption papers
  • a certified copy of their birth certificate. Particularly if it doesn't list the travelling parent.

Travelling without parents

Most airlines have rules for children under 15 who travel alone. You may need to fill out a permission form. Contact your airline for details, including in-flight protocols for kids travelling alone.

The country your child travels to may also have forms you must complete. Contact the  embassy or consulate of the country they're going to . Find out if there are entry rules for children before they travel.

Child travel consent

Your child may need a consent letter if they travel:

  • with someone who isn't their parent or guardian, such as a school group or grandparent.

The letter usually states:

  • the child's name, gender and place and date of birth
  • who the child is with
  • where the child is going
  • the child's passport information.

The letter should be signed by the parents and  witnessed by a public official .

Child custody

Before taking your child overseas, you must get consent from anyone with parental responsibility for them. Or get a court order to let them travel. You may be breaking the law if you don't.

Many countries recognise Australian parenting orders. Some will not.

Read  more about international family law and children  (Attorney-General's Department).

Child support payments

Your child support payments must be up-to-date before you can leave Australia. Services Australia can stop you from leaving if they aren't. If you have overdue child support and haven't made a payment plan:

  • call 131 272 to discuss your options
  • visit  the Services Australia website .

Dual nationality and child custody

Some countries don't recognise  dual nationality . This can affect how local authorities make custody decisions.

Get legal advice before travelling with children who may be dual nationals.

Stop orders on women and children

In some countries, husbands or relatives can place a 'stop order' on women and children. A stop order can stop a person from leaving the country, regardless of nationality.

Contact the nearest Australian embassy or consulate if you or your child are being stopped from returning to Australia.

International child abduction

If you think someone may try to take your child out of Australia without your consent, report it. Get legal advice, they can help you:

  • get a court order to register your children on the Australian Federal Police's  Family Law Watchlist
  • submit a Child Alert Request with the  Australian Passport Office .

Learn more about  international child abduction  (Attorney-General's Department).

Help from the Attorney-General's Department

The Attorney-General's Department may be able to help if someone has taken your child overseas without your consent.

Contact the International Family Law Section:

The help they can give you depends on where your child is taken.

Help from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

If someone has taken your child while you're overseas, contact the  Consular Emergency Centre .

DFAT can give:

  • a list of local lawyers
  • information on local child welfare agencies or organisations
  • consular help to the parent who is left behind.

You may also find a lawyer overseas through:

  • International Academy of Family Lawyers
  • Find out more about buying travel insurance .
  • Check which vaccinations you should get .
  • See our advice for  pregnancy ,  adoption  and  surrogacy  overseas.
  • Carry-on luggage restrictions  (Department of Home Affairs)
  • Separated parents  (Services Australia)

Related content

In many countries age, gender and sexual preferences can pose challenges. Understanding the culture and laws in your destination will help things go smoothly.

Read more about the legislative protections designed to prevent child sex offences abroad.

If you're pregnant and planning to travel overseas, research your destination before you go. Being informed about the risks will help you manage them.


  1. PDF To parents traveling abroad with children To parents returning to Japan

    What is a "consent letter for travel"? It is a document that proves that one of the parents has consented to the other parent entering/ departing the countries with children. In some countries, taking children, including your own children, out of the country without consent of the other parent is considered a crime (kidnapping, etc.).

  2. PDF Parental Consent Form

    Parental Consent Form. When the applicant under the age of 18 who is not accompanied by his/her parent(s) or guardian applies for a visa, the applicant must have his/her parent or guardian fill out this form and submit this form at the time of application. I, (Applicant's parent or guardian), hereby consent that (Applicant) apply for a visa ...

  3. Passengers traveling with infants or small children [International

    The child should travel with an accompanying passenger who is 18 years old or over. 5-13 years old. If the child is traveling alone, they must use ANA Junior Pilot. 14-17 years old. If the child is traveling alone, a Consent and Release Form must be submitted. ANA Airport Support is available upon request.

  4. Before Traveling abroad with a Child

    Bonnie Support Service Ltd: Consulate-General of Japan in Sydney. Tel: 02-9729-0939 Email: [email protected] or [email protected]. [note] Japanese staff is stationed during Tue. and Wed. 9:00 - 16:30 and Thu. 9:00 - 15:30. Note: please dial "61" first for country codes of Australia and then dial a telephone number when you ...

  5. PDF Letter of Consent

    (Child's Full Name) Japanese passport Travel Document for return to Japan Cancelling his/ her previous passport Legal Representative Name (Parent Full Name): Address: Telephone: Signature (Parent Signature): *Please submit this consent with a copy of your valid photo ID.

  6. PDF Letter of Consent

    I hereby consent to the application for the: (Select one or more) Report of Lost/Theft of the Japanese Passport Standard Japanese Passport Travel Document (Tokosho) for my son / daughter , , (circle one) (full Japanese name) (Attention!) If the parent or guardian does not live with the minor (under age 20), the original

  7. PDF Letter of Consent

    Consul-General of Japan in Sydney Letter of Consent I, , consent to my son / daughter ... 's application for the following. (Child's Full Name) YY /MM /DD (Child's birthday) (Child's sex) *Please tick that you consent Japanese passport Travel Document for return to Japan Cancelling his / her previous passport

  8. Free Minor Travel Consent Form

    Free Minor Travel Consent Form. A minor travel consent form is a legal document, signed by a child's parents and/or legal guardians, giving permission for the child to travel with another adult. Any time a child travels abroad without both parents and/or legal guardians, U.S. Customs and Border Protection requires the child to have this written ...

  9. International travel documents for children

    Children traveling to the U.S. All children, including infants, must have their own travel documents such as a passport or document from a Trusted Traveler Program to enter the U.S. If you travel or are going to travel with a child, consider taking the following documents: If the child is traveling with only one of their custodial parents, they ...

  10. PDF Recommended Consent Letter for Children Travelling Abroad

    Recommended Consent Letter for Children Travelling Abroad The following sample consent letter, provided by Global Affairs Canada, can be modified to meet your specific needs. For instructions and an interactive form you can use to create a customized letter, visit travel.gc.ca/letter. To whom it may concern, I / We,,

  11. Recommended consent letter for children travelling abroad

    A consent letter should be used for all cross-border travel when a child is travelling: alone. with only 1 parent or guardian. in the care of friends or relatives. with a group, such as a sports, school, musical or religious group. This includes day trips and travel where a child will be with only 1 parent for part of a trip.

  12. Parental Consent for Minors

    A third party may apply for the child's passport with a Form DS-3053 "Statement of Consent" from each parent. Each parent/guardian must notarize a Form DS-3053 and give the third party permission to apply for the child. The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians' identification. When the statement is from only one ...

  13. Free Consent Forms for Minors Traveling Without Parents

    A Child Travel Consent Form is a legal document that allows a minor child to travel without both parents or legal guardians present. It can be used when a child is traveling as an unaccompanied minor, or with another adult who is not the legal guardian, such as a grandparent, teacher, sports coach, or friend of the family.

  14. Free Child (Minor) Travel Consent Form

    Review a summary of how to write a child travel consent form: Step 1: Provide your child's basic information, including their name, birthdate, birthplace, passport details, and birth certificate details. Step 2: Write your information as the parent or guardian, including your address, phone number, and address.

  15. When Do You Need a Child Travel Consent Form?

    It simply needs to state that the child's parents or guardians acknowledge and give consent for their child to travel with a specific individual. It should include: The child's name, birthplace, birthdate, home address, phone number, and, in the case of international travel, their passport number. The names and contact information for the ...

  16. Free Minor (Child) Travel Consent Form

    A child travel consent form allows a minor to travel alone or with another person or group. It is written by one or both parents and can be used for domestic or international travel. Create Document. PDF Word ODT. Updated May 10, 2024.

  17. PDF To Parents with Children of Japanese Nationality

    confirmed that there is consent from both parents/guardians. The passport for the minor will be approved and issued once the parent/guardian that did not consent submits a letter of agreement to issue a passport for the minor applicant to a passport office in Japan or Japanese Embassy/Consulates-General abroad.

  18. A Non-Nonsense Guide to Child Travel Consent Forms

    A child travel consent form is a relatively simple document that gives you permission to temporarily take a child away from their legal parent or guardian's custody. They are especially important for international travel, but United States TSA agents have been asking to see such documents for domestic travel over the past decade.

  19. Travel Documents Needed for Grandchildren

    Gives consent from the parent(s) to allow their child(ren) to travel with their grandparents; Includes all children's full names and ages; Indicates the travel period from departure to the date of return including a few days before and after in case of any travel changes; Includes the name of the notary and the date notarized; Lists the general travel destination(s)

  20. PDF Affidavit of Support and Consent

    (6) I am executing this affidavit in connection with my child(ren)'s/ward's application for a passport at the Department of Foreign Affairs and/or travel clearance at the Department of Social Welfare and Development for travel abroad. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto signed my name this _____day of _____ in Tokyo, Japan.

  21. Travelling with children

    Help from the Attorney-General's Department. The Attorney-General's Department may be able to help if someone has taken your child overseas without your consent. Contact the International Family Law Section: 1800 100 480 (within Australia) +61 2 6141 3100 (from overseas) [email protected].